In Touch With My Inner 3-Year-Old – With a 42-Year-Old

I have recently reminded myself how much fun it is to be silly.  Now those who know me know that being silly is something that truly comes naturally, but lately I haven’t given myself the freedom to just let go of ‘adulthood’ and revisit ‘toddlerhood.’  It wasn’t until recently when I purchased puppets from the show ‘Fraggle Rock’ for Craig’s nephew, Luke, when I realized how important it is to play.  Proud of my new purchase, I showed my housemate our new friends and didn’t just pull them out of the bag; I had to put the puppets on and introduce them, one by one.  Though Craig tried, he couldn’t keep from smiling and ultimately laughing.  Along with his laughter, Craig made it very clear that he would not be using the puppets as a form of communication, which really was a disappointment.  I think that we could have some great conversations with Red, Boober, Traveling Max and Wembly.  I then explained that the puppets could be used to read stories and sing songs…Craig quickly told me that I would never see him play with puppets (or something to that affect).

Now, posed with a challenge to see my friend play puppets with his nephew and to lose himself in his silliness, I hope that some day soon, I will be around to see this all unfold.  When we presented Luke with the puppets, silliness emerged from not only the actual 3-year-old, but also the adults who were trying to hide their inner child.  The puppets quickly began to converse with one another, and there may have been a little puppet dancing.  (There was also a sock monkey involved, every kid needs a sock monkey – Luke received one too.)  With this puppet conversation, dancing and ultimate frivolity I saw a part of one of my dearest friends I haven’t seen before…and it was amazing!

Recently, I had the opportunity to sit down and play with Luke.  It was AMAZING!  We colored, we talked, we read the paper and talked about Africa and the fact that I am brown, looked at African animals on the iPad and played Play-dough, making Craig ‘breakfast’ and blue-chocolate smoothies.  It was absolutely wonderful to see the two play and interact.  It was beautiful to see my friend let go of his worries and just be a kid.  What was even more exciting is that I too got to play and be a kid.  I had forgotten how amazing it was to watch a child learn, play, think, process and interact.  I had forgotten how much I truly love children and miss having a toddler in the house.  I had forgotten how much I LOVE being a mom.  I had forgotten how much I love the way I feel when I am just silly and having fun.

My point of all of this, I am grateful for the opportunities I have and have taken to just be goofy, silly, funny (although this isn’t always deliberate…it just happens), child-like and simple.  I am grateful for a friend who has involved me with his family and opened the door to be a part of something greater than myself.  I am grateful that I am taking the opportunity to just be…to walk away from my worries, if only for a moment, to live in the moment, to enjoy the life I have and to recognize the need to be me.

Comments

  1. Awww... /raises a glass of champagne. Here's to a great 2012...one that matches all the things we are grateful for in 2011.

    Thanks for the reminders to look for things in my own life to which I should be grateful.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Tasha, and you really should write more often. I love reading your posts. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the lucky one to call you my friend. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore you Tasha! I am very blessed to have reconnected with you this year. I am touched by your support, tolerance, acceptance and love. I truly am lucky to call you one of my dearest friends.
    I hope that you and yours have a magical holiday season! I love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts