Raising Boys and Training Dogs


Have you ever thought about the similarities about parenting and raising a dog?  Since becoming an empty nester, I have had a great deal of time to think about my relationships (human and animal) and noticing the differences and similarities on my interactions.  Here is what I have noticed (although not a complete list):

Christmas Weaponry 
Otis, the furry love in my life

Puppies require a lot of snuggles.
Boys require a lot of snuggles.

Puppies require a lot of patience.
Boys require a tremendous amount of patience.

Puppies require lots of kisses and love.
Boys require lots of kisses and love.

Puppies require a sense of humor.
Parents require a sense of humor.

Puppies grow like weeds.
Boys grow like, whatever grows faster than weeds.

Dogs require food.
Boys require food…warehouses of food.

Dogs require attentive parents.  (I hate the word owner when it comes to a pet.)
Boys require attentive parents.

Dogs require daily love and affection.
Boys require daily love and affection.

Dogs require daily discipline.
Boys require a lifetime of discipline.

Dogs offer unconditional love.
Boys find reasons to love.

Parents have to make the choice to love their kids and stick to it…no matter how difficult it may seem.

Apparently, there are more similarities than I originally thought.  Does this mean that I regret being a mom to my children or my pooch?  Not in the slightest.  In fact, there is nothing more that I would rather be doing with my life than being a parent.  Perhaps, it’s the empty nest syndrome.  As I work through this current affliction, I must reevaluate my purpose as a mother and a woman.  It is my emotional need for me to have the feeling of purpose with regard to raising my children.  

It is my honor to be called mom.  

It’s an awesome feeling to see my dog’s tail wag when I walk into the house.  

Not a bad life if you ask me.


Comments

Popular Posts