To My Last Minute…

What is each minute of my life worth?  Considering that there are 525,600 minutes in a year, this is a lot to consider.  I was reflecting on one of my favorite movies today, Rent, and the message that I always take away is live each moment as if it’s your last and make every minute count.  After talking to a dear friend the other night, I realize that living my life in the now is how I want to live.  I want to make every minute matter without regret. I want to share my life with those in my ‘circle’, laughing, crying, and sharing our trials and our victories. 

I have friends from all walks of life: young, old, tall, short, female, male, gay, straight, and everything in between.  My friends are amazing.  I don’t know what my life would be like without my motley crew.  We have cried together, laughed together, celebrated, grieved, and so much more.  We support each other in many aspects of our lives; from career decisions to the toppings on our salads, we take care of each other.  I am sure that if we were in a musical we would break out in song it would be an AMAZING scene…and the harmony would be perfect.

My heart is heavy right now as a friend is struggling with health issues.  I want so much to take the pain, the worry and the prognosis, kick it in the ass and send it packing.  I want my friend to know that they are not alone.  I want my friend to know that no matter whatever happens I will do everything in my power to help maintain dignity and high spirits.  Through this time we will laugh, we will cry, we will get through this…together. 

I prefer to live in the now rather than the what if or what was. There is no reason to live in tomorrow when you haven’t finished with today.  We learn from our past, but dwelling on what can’t be changed is poison for the soul.  I will use my mistakes in the past to help shape my future, but I will only live the day that I have been given and maintain the hope that another day will follow.  As I begin to work with the group a.l.p.h.a..  (Allies Linked for the Prevention of HIV and AIDS) I realize that I will be working with people who may be receiving information that will forever change their lives or helping people who are living with HIV or AIDS, I am beginning to appreciate my love for life, my love for today and my gratitude for everyone who has contributed to my life.  Thank you for helping me to become a better person.  Thank you for allowing me to share my heart with you. 



Comments

  1. Man, this is SO important. I look back at the times I wasted with regret, so awhile ago, I vowed to live my life to the fullest. No sense wasting any of this precious time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RENT is one of my favorite shows too. I just realized you live in Nampa. I live in SLC...not too far apart. I used to love going over to Boise and visiting the downtown. I was from Idaho Falls which is super small so it was like going to a big city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, I lived in IF and grew up in Pocatello! Small world!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts