The Greatest Gift I Have Ever Received...

I never wanted to have kids.  My idea of the perfect adult life was kayaking, rafting, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, drinking beer, hanging with friends, travel and very few worries.  Somewhere in my childhood dreaming college was on the to-do list, but there was no plan for a high-powered corporate executive career, white picket fence, 2.2 kids, a dog, a cat or a Volvo in the garage.  However, in true Tasha fashion, what do you suppose happened?  You guessed it!  I became a mom.  The plans of teenager were quickly extinguished and a beautiful boy changed everything.


Scott (1992), taught me that sacrifice is a large part of love.  I do not believe that I lost anything from my childhood dreams, I gained something far more valuable.  I gained the opportunity to give myself completely to another human being.  It did not matter how chaotic my life became or that I was in uncharted territory, I grabbed on to this challenge and have not regretted one moment.  I put dreams on the back burner to put my all into raising my child.  What a grand adventure it has been.
Andrew (1994), taught me that humor is an amazing part of love.  I have learned from this guy that life is too short to take everything seriously.  I have learned that dancing in the rain can brighten your day; mud is fun when thrown against a wall; banana is very difficult to get off of the ceiling; and running around naked is the best way to fight the heat.  I cherish every shenanigan this boy pulled and learned that laughter is far better than crying.
Dylan (1998), taught me that selflessness is one of the deepest part of love.  Not many people know about Dylan.  I was in a whirlwind relationship with someone I met on the Internet (I am fairly certain that will not be happening again).  This man came into my life and offered me what I thought I wanted and what I needed.  I got pregnant, not by planning on my part, and this man decided to leave and marry another woman.  At seven months through my pregnancy, I realized that I could not care for another child.  I already had two small children, I was a full time student, I had no income and knew that this man would not step up to the responsibility plate.  I made a decision to place this unborn child for adoption.  There was a part of met that knew that this child was not mine to raise.  I was able to meet the parents I chose and able to call them the night that he was born.  My decision hit me when I went to court and signed over my rights.  My heart broke knowing the firsts that I was going to miss, but I knew that my decision is what was right for me, my boys and the family who adopted Dylan.  I learned more about my self that year, in fact, the lesson continues.
I know that I have learned more from my children that I could have ever taught them and they have given me so much more than I could give them.  I am forever grateful for my boys, all three of them, I don’t even want to think about where I would be without them.  If I think back about what I wanted at age 16, I know that the life I wanted would be fun and exciting, but NOTHING like what the last 19 years.

Comments

  1. Wow, very powerful words. I always wanted children, in my 20s the desire to have a child was it's most intense. Alas, I have had no children, they just were not in my life plan. However I am very close to my niece and nephews, and believe I have made a difference in theirs lives, and them in mine. It is very apparent your children are your joy, I wish more parents felt the way about their children the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Moe! I know that I have made mistakes with the way I have raised them, but then what parent hasn't made mistakes. The boys and I have raised each other in many ways, but we have each other and we will always be there for each other. I am truly lucky to have my boys. they make me laugh, the have made me cry and they have made me realize that I am truly a wealthy woman.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts