Over My Morning Coffee

When I went to college my advisor gave me the best piece of advice and I am convinced that this advice was a big part of my reason for returning to school for another degree.  I am also convinced that this profound piece of advice has helped shape me into the woman I am becoming.  His advice: “Do what you love.”


Ford Swetnam - my college advisor and dear friend - sat me down in his office to give me some guidance on my college career.  As a new student I had a no idea what I was doing, where I was going or where I would land.  Ford’s welcoming, warm smile and deep laugh quickly put me at ease.  This was the moment when I knew that this man would have a lasting affect on my life.  Not only was Ford my mentor-my professor but my dear friend.
Ford was an amazing poet and a phenomenal teacher.  His sense of humor still brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart.  He truly cared about me, my family, my success and my future.  He never inflated me, nor gave me false hope on what I could achieve; he was always honest and I knew that I could count on Ford for sound counsel.  I miss my friend...he lost his fight against cancer.
I have never felt this kind of loss like I do with losing Ford.  I would never say that my grief was greater than his family - I can’t imagine how his death changed their lives.  I know that every decision that I have made has always been made with the piece of advice in mind, trying to honor everything that he ever taught me.
At a time in my life when “Ford” advice was really needed, my mom gave me one of the greatest gifts she has ever given me.  She searched Pocatello, asked people who knew me and she found herself at The Walrus and Carpenter book shop.  She found a copy of Ford’s last collection of poems, Offer the Cup to a Friend.  I cried, not entirely because of sadness, but more for the tender memories I have of my friend.  I was given my last connection to this great man.  I just pulled it out a read through it again and tears came to my eyes and a smile to my face.
My hope is that my decisions, especially those about my education, would be smiled upon by my mentor.  I love you Ford and miss you greatly.  There is a very special place for you in my heart.  I am a better person for knowing you.  Until we meet again old friend....

Comments

Popular Posts